Monday, June 25, 2007

The Nightly Nerdlinger News Secret Origins Edition

Breathe...

Since the summer movie season is upon us and the studios are taking a breath after their exertions it's been a slow time lately, but I'm trying to find more news for you to keep your NQ (nerd quotient) at a high level. At times like this I go further afield in my search for Science Fiction, Fantasy, Horror, Anime, Martial Arts and Action news for you. To that end I'm going to make a few posts on the sites I use most often to find out what's coming, what's rumour and what's, sadly, not gonna happen.

The first site I always check is Ain't it Cool News, or AICN as it is affectionately known to us nerds. Harry Knowles runs this site with the help of a lot of really good reviewers and a ridiculous amount of industry insider info. For over 10 years now this has been the go to place for news about the same kind of stuff I post about here. If it's American made this is the best place to find news about Science Fiction, Fantasy, American Animation and some Martial Arts, Horror and Anime news. For non-American stuff the next place I check is always-

Twitch, an amazing site dedicated to all the stuff that most American film sites don't tell you about. An interesting thing about foreign films is that they have a LOT of sub-genres and these guys know their stuff when it comes to sorting out what you should care about and what's probably just trash. Then again, they also appreciate really good trash. There's so much stuff coming out of Korea, Japan, India, Russia and a dozen other countries usually not associated with movies (at least on this side of the world) that no one can keep track of it all. Luckily, these guys do all the work for you. The only real trouble is finding R1 versions of the movies they report on, that is, if you remember about about them 6 months later when they might make it over here. Luckily they usually report when DVDs come out over here.

The next site I often go to for mostly Science Fiction news is Sci-Fi Wire, part of the Sci-Fi channels website. A lot of stuff pertaining to science fiction and fantasy in all types of media can be found there, especially stuff that shows on Sci-Fi.

Another site I frequent, Film ick comes out of the UK and is similar to mine (though much more thorough and better connected) in that it gathers LOTS of links to other sites and bits of news from all over. They also get the odd exclusive and post reviews. They do more than genre stuff though so you have to dig a bit sometimes.

One last site I check most days is CHUD. They've been around a while and focus mostly on genre stuff, leaning heavily towards the horror side of it. They also get the occasional interview with actors and directors. The reviews are very opinionated and usually funny as heck.

I'll add more to this tomorrow but these are the main sites I check every day. Others I check less frequently or when the news is slow, like now.

1 comment:

Verminous Countenance said...

Roughly translated via babelfish, the previous post seems to be an offer to come visit a site that makes customized t-shirts and they like my blog, which they found through google. I think=

Oi, I found yours blog for google tá well interesting I liked this post. When to give gives passed for mine blog, is on personalized t-shirts, shows step by step as to create a well personalized t-shirt way. Until more.