Monday, August 4, 2008

The Nightly Nerdlinger News epi 14

Well, I know I said last week that I'd be back 3-5 times a week, but I've been lax. Sue me.

Anyway, the movie I'm about to clue you in on is a bit off the beaten path as far as nerdlinger news goes, but I believe that it will fit in well with our world, given a chance.

Back in my youth, I went to see a movie starring a newly hot Michael Pare'. Sadly, he didn't stay hot much longer after it. The year was 1984 and the movie was Streets of Fire, a rock and roll fable. Now, being a fable, it had all the right elements; a hero newly returned from the war, a former love trying to make it alone while forgetting her hero; a villian interested in both the girl and the hero; even some comedy relief in the form of a group of minstrals trying to make it big. The soundtrack that included songs by Jim Stienman, Tom Petty, Ry Cooder and The Fixx doesn't hurt at all.

In short, I loved this movie, saw it twice and bought the cassette tape.

Well, according to the guys at AICN, there's a sequel in the works. Starring Pare' and at least one other star from the original. With returning characters. Wow. We can only hope that the music will stand up. Perhaps Stienman will do a couple of tunes?

Quickies

AICN also reports that a possible DOOM 2 is in the future. Maybe.

Scriptgirl reports that fan (and my) fav Del Toro is working on a script for a remake of "Don't Be Afraid of the Dark". A movie that gave me nightmares for, oh, about 30 years.

No comments: