Sunday, July 8, 2007

Ride for the Charleston Nine results

So despite inclement weather we made the ride. All morning it looked like rain and in fact it was raining/sprinkling till after 11AM, so much so that I went to wallymart and bought a couple of rain suits for us. 100 bucks I really didn't need to spend but in fact we'll use them occasionally so I may as well have them. It turns out we didn't need them after all. In a cliched storybook occurrence, the skies cleared and the heavens opened up and shined down upon us for the ride and it didn't rain till after we got home and out of our sweat soaked riding clothes.

The ride was about 40 miles and the turn-out was way higher than the organizers expected and that's despite all the wannabes that didn't show because they thought it was going to rain. Over 1000 bikes showed, we don't know for sure yet because the local cops stopped counting around 900. We gave the fire chief an initial Big Cardboard Check for about 8,080 bucks, not bad for a ride that was 10 bucks a rider/passenger. I expect that we'll have a final tally tomorrow of riders registered and moneys collected.

I actually won the first raffle prize, a white trooper style helmet, which is cool, because I've been meaning to get one, so that saved me $50, except I need to take it back to the shop that donated it to get the right size.

So, a good day all in all.

No comments: